For anyone looking to make their classic grilled cheese more nutritious (or simply more delicious!) try out these tasty sammies. With our addition of Cabot Mild and Sharp Cheddar Cheese as well as Cabot Butter you can get every main ingredient for these sandwiches from Middlebury Foods!
Apple, onion, and Sharp Cheddar Grilled Cheese
There's no specific serving size for this recipe, so just make as many sandwiches you want with whichever proportions taste good to you!
- Bread (Try whole wheat or 10 grain from Vermont Bread Co.)
- Apple slices
- Sharp White Cheddar, grated
- Onion, thinly sliced
- Dijon Musard
- a little Butter (you can use Cabot!)and/or Olive Oil for grilling
- Spread 2 pieces of bread with Dijon mustard. Sprinkle with a little cheese, top with apples and onions. Sprinkle with black pepper, if you like, and top with more cheese. Top with remaining piece of bread.
- Heat a dab of butter and a glug of olive oil in a sauté pan or griddle over medium heat. Carefully transfer the sandwich(es)
- (optional) to the pan and put something heavy (I use a stack of frying pans, a foil-wrapped brick would work, too) on top to help press them down and make them extra crunchy. Alternatively, cook the sandwiches in a panini press.
- Cook until the bottom piece of bread is golden and toasty, then flip and cook the other side until golden and the cheese is completely melted. Cut in half and serve.
Broccoli, Onion, and Any Cheddar Grilled Cheese
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large head of broccoli, chopped well (if you don't want to use the stems, you need to get more florets)
- butter (you can use Cabot!)
- 6 slices cheddar cheese (you can use any variety of cheddar)
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- salt and pepper
- 6 slices fresh bread (try white or potato from Vermont Bread Co.)
- Heat a medium skillet over medium/high heat, with a bit of butter tossed in. Add onions and garlic and saute for minute. Add broccoli bits and mix around, stirring frequently. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until broccoli is tender and bright green. Remove from heat, move contents to a bowl and set aside.
- Wipe out skillet and put back on stove. Heat on low heat. Butter 3 slices of bread, and set them in the skillet butter side down. Add a slice of cheese to the bread (in the skillet), then add 1/3 of the broccoli mixture on top, then a second slice of cheese. Butter another slice of bread and set on top of the sandwich, butter side up. Repeat for remaining sandwiches.
- Once you have all the sandwiches in the skillet and assembled, turn heat up to medium (high heat will cause the bread to burn before the cheese melts) and let cook for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Cook another 3-4 minutes on the other side or until golden brown.
- Remove sandwiches from skillet, cut in half, serve hot.